This is one of three baptism and dedication preparation videos to give you some ideas of how to introduce faith at home. This video explores the power of words and how we can use our words and thoughts to involve God in our life and in our child's life. You can watch it at home on your own or with your partner, or with the church leader who will be taking the service.
Ideas of things to try
- When something pops up in your head, chat to God about it. If you’re not sure what to chat about we’ve made a list of ideas to get you started.
- Try praying out loud when you’re with your child so that they can hear what you’re doing.
- Chat to God about the things that matter to you as you go about your day. It can be absolutely anything - big or small. When you’re walking along with a buggy or sling, sat on the bus or in the car are great times to do this.
- When you’re chatting to God, leave some spaces to see if you become aware of him communicating back to you as well. Just pause and see if he pops an idea, a picture, a thought, a word or feeling into your mind or body, which might answer a question you’ve asked him or be his response to what you’ve shared with him. It’s okay if you’re not sure if it’s him first. You might want to ask a follow on question like ‘Is that feeling of peace from you?’.
- Some people find it helpful to use words that other people have written to express themselves to God. Feel free to join in with prayers that are said or read at church or church groups or find one you like to use at home.
Questions to think or chat about
- Have you ever tried praying? What did or didn’t you like about it? When or where did you pray? Did you feel like God communicated back?
- Do you think you might try any of those ideas? Which stood out to you?
- We have two other short videos called Connection and Communication and Chatting to God for you and your little one which will help you to explore this more.
- You can also try using the search button (top right) on our website for anything you’d like to know more about. You’ll find a whole section of videos and ideas for under fives on there.
For church leaders
If you're a church leader, head to the baptism and dedication preparation page to download a leaders' guide and request a link that allows you to download the videos to watch offline.
Family with baby at Christening by Kzenon via Canva Pro